Back to work...with some assemblage

Even though I should still be enjoying the holidays and relaxing, I have started back to my creative endeavours this week in my home studio, which I have thoroughly enjoyed. My head is back in the game and I am reflecting on where the work will take me this year.

I have been finishing off some projects that I had been anticipating finishing prior to Xmas but ran out of time. It has been good to get back to them.

Over the last few months, I have been creating a series of work about Spirituality (and specifically spiritual energy), which has several strands. The first strand is the channelled paintings, working on large, handmade canvasses and depicting the universal energy that is all around us.

The second strand is around the theme of Kirlian photography and the evidence base for each living thing having an energy field. The relevance of the leaf as a motif is that it echoes the stages of life, from birthing as a bud, shooting into life, bathing in the sun throughout the summer and then decaying through the autumn until they tumble to their death in the winter. They can be reborn if they then feature in art, they have another life beyond their normal physical one. Their energy transmutes and they live again in a different guise.

The Kirlian Leaf Block series was created using offcuts of scrap wood, again giving it a new lease of life beyond its original one and immortalising it. The idea of salvaging things beyond their original life span is interesting to me. Extending the life span beyond the original one puts me as the artist into the role of creator.

Today I started some assemblages looking at the symbolism of spirituality, these are something I have used in my work before and find really interesting to put together. Playing with imagery is something I have done a lot of in the past, as a lot of my work is collage based. Isolating images to stand alone and not employing paint alongside gives more of a challenge, playing with placement, object and image to convey what is portrayed.

Here are Spirit I & Sprit II:


Spirit I
Spirit II













Comments

Popular Posts