The stillness of Winter

 I know I am not the only person who struggles in cold, miserable, dark northern hemisphere winters. I have felt this way as a child. It feels like a struggle for survival once winter casts its moody cloak around me and swallows me up.  I am definitely a solar powered soul. My happy zone is being in the sunshine painting in my garden studio where I decamp for the warm months. My work rate goes right up and I create lots of colourful, light and bright works to share with the world.

Autumn and winter however do not inspire me to create, and I enter into my ‘stillness of winter’ phase, conserving my creativity and feeling uninspired to create or source opportunities. Maybe I am an artist that hibernates! Autumn brought health issues for me and then winter brought different health issues for my family. It becomes all-consuming looking after yourself and other people. So I forgive my lack of meaningful creation in recent months. I know it will change soon and the urge to create will return.

What’s important is acknowledging how you feel and honouring those feelings and instincts. Finding the things that you need as an artist to be whole while life challenges you is more important than measuring your progress or lack thereof. Entering the stillness and accepting what it holds, placing one foot in front of the other and keeping going is the most important thing. Seasons within and seasons without. Staying strong and withstanding will make the difference.

© Sarah E. Jones 

Comments

Popular Posts